Wednesday 20 August 2014

Cosplayer of the Week: Melonballs Cosplay

Melonballs Cosplay 

Facebook: Melonballs Cosplay Instagram: whoishelen


The Cosplayer of the Week is the talented Melonballs. We were first introduced to her through her super creative Wall Maria cosplay at this years Anime North. Her costumes are always amazing but her dedication to her craft is equally impressive-Whether its finding the perfect location for a photo shoot, painstakingly putting together a detailed costume or bringing her own vision of a character to life through cosplay. This is a hugely talented and creative member of the cosplay community and we hope to see much more of her work soon!




What got you into cosplay?

At first I didn't realize I was cosplaying until I went to my very first anime convention four years ago. I started dressing up as anime characters for Halloween when I thought it would be fun to do so. Then as years progressed through elementary school I realized that this whole idea of dressing up as your favourite character was amazing and I found out that cosplay can allow me to do this any day throughout the year whether it be for a special holiday or not. So guess I got myself into cosplay just by the whole amazing idea of cosplay by itself.

What was your first cosplay? 

If counting the one I did for a halloween costume in grade 5 then it would be Soi Fon from Bleach. However, if it was my first "serious" cosplay that I wore and brought to conventions it would be Yaya from Shugo Chara. Although it wasn't complete with make up and a wig I had a lot of fun with it and consider it as my first cosplay ever. Even when I look back at it and I look nothing like the character at all.

How long have you been cosplaying?

Including the years that I didn't realize that i was cosplaying it would be about eight years now. And if I were to count when I took it as a serious hobby of mine it would be about four years. So I am still relatively new to this whole concept. 


What is your favourite part of putting on your cosplay?  

My favourite part of putting on my cosplay would be just seeing all of my months of hard work come together as a whole. Since I often take days working on one piece and putting it away for weeks while I work on something else it is breathtaking when I get to see all the pieces fit together, it's like wow I finally did it! This especially applies to the costumes that I personally make myself!



What's the best part of cosplay for you?  Personally the best part of cosplay is when I go over to my friend's house to work on our costumes together. We often make matching costumes together and wear them to conventions! I love the progress work we do in her living room or basement it's really fun. Often times I enjoy doing this than waking up in the morning to head to the convention! It's the time I spend with my friends making our props and costumes that I cherish the most that this hobby provides me with! Although making our 3dmg for out Attack on Titan costumes really stressed us over!!!

 What is your favourite cosplay?

My current favourite cosplay that I made would have to be Lightning Farron's Final Fantasy 13-xii armour costume. This would be the fact that the whole costume was made majorly by myself without much aid from anyone. Since her costume was 90% armour I managed to take my time and carefully make all the pieces while my friend helped me with my measurements and warrior skirt. I rarely make any of my costumes without my mother or my friend since they sew everything for me so I am very proud of this costume as I can call it mine! This was also my second cosplay that I made weapons for too so it was amazing to see how complete it was! However, it did fall apart throughout the convention and I didn't get much pictures I will fix it and wear it again to relive the awesome memories!

Do you have a current cosplay or cosplayer favourite, someone who has inspired you?  

I actually have a lot of people who inspired me into cosplay. I believe the first person to ever make an impact on me would be CVY, her photos from deviantart always blew me away and I look up to her since then when I found about her in grade 7. Shortly finding about her I came across Yuegene Fay's unbelievable work too which pushed me more into this hobby, giving me the hope of wanting to be like them. Then recently I found about the extremely talented Yuurisans, Yuuri-C helped me along the way with my lightning costume by sending me advice and tutorials which made me extremely grateful and happy that she took her time out of her busy schedule to help me out and lastly, my friend Betty (Awesome Kay Kay). She's my childhood friend that started cosplaying when I did, she helps me with my costumes as well as style my wigs and does my makeup. So technically she makes cosplay a reality for me!  


0 comments:

Post a Comment